Friday 30 December 2016

The becoming of a woman

  How do you know when you've transitioned from a girl to a woman?
I suppose that at some point you just do. And it the most internet cliche form of writing...

Here are the 3 ways to know when you've truly become a woman. 
( Haha not bad I think if I can pull this off I can manage as a writer for some clickbait site but *cough* y'all know I have good content kan? kan? *cough*)

1. When people start referring to you as a woman. 
No more ah girl and xiao mei nonsense (except from family members because you will always be smol in their eyes). The first time I noticed it
was when this dude kept referring to me as "This woman." Take it as a compliment because at some point... you'll soon be regarded as part of the old people especially if you hang out with kids and teens. (Yes, even despite the fact that you're still in your early twenties the kids will still think you're an adult = old = don't know how old but still old regardless) 

2. You get accepted into the kitchen.
No I am not joking. This is a very stereotypical way of putting it but I realised that the kitchen is really a woman only territory. To not only be accepted by another woman to stay within the kitchen parameter but also granted permission to help really says something. It's like approval from another  woman. This came from personal experience where both my friend and I were offering to help the female host with the dishes during a party. My friend was only 2 years younger but she got brushed aside when she offered to help with the reasoning that her sleeves could get wet. I saw my friend leave the kitchen - defeated. (Host lady : 1 - Friend : 0) I decided to give it a try but instead of asking if I could help I offered to rinse while she washed. When I got accepted so easily it was kind of like an epiphany moment for me. "Like holy cow I'm in and I've been approved by a fellow adult female does that mean I'm in the same strata now??" (Bit of an over-exaggeration but heck that was the ost accomplished dish washing session I ever had)

3. You automatically assume the position of female adult in a group where you're the oldest.
Whether it be elder sister or even motherly roles. (Let your maternal instincts kick in and instead of friendzoning a dude you'd find yourself wanting to adopt random hoomans that trigger your maternal instincts.) But seriously though, I think perhaps it is when people can come to you because they feel comfortable to either seek help or just talk about their problems with you that really makes it feel like you're playing the big sister/ motherly role. They feel that they can trust you with whatever that is bothering them and be weird because you seem to understand and will take it better than others.

But all in all I feel that the overall change is that you learn to put yourself first and take care of yourself. You become someone who realizes that she is an asset worth investing and she is more than just a household appliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...